16th & R Street NW
Enjoy the Victorian charm that the Akwaaba B&B has to offer just east of Dupont Circle. Built in the 1890s as a single family home, today it offers our guests spacious accommodations and shared spaces, elegant décor and original accents, and easy access to Washington DC’s top sights and attractions.
Select from eight guest rooms, each with a private bath, which are themed and decorated to honor a specific author or classic literary genre. Our charismatic rooms include the Zora Neale Hurston, Langston Hughes, Toni Morrison, Walter Mosley, Romance, Modern Classics, Poetry, or our Inspiration Suite. Whatever your pleasure, luxury and literature await at Akwaaba D.C.
Our rooms are located on the second, third, and fourth floors and unfortunately we can only offer walk-up access due to the house’s original design. We hope you enjoy your stay in one of our captivating rooms as well as the hospitality from our innkeepers at our bed and breakfast in Dupont Circle.
Dupont Circle is the home to a lot of attractions and authentic DC experiences. You can access the Metro’s Red line at the Dupont Circle Station, just about four blocks from our B&B, or hop on the S bus that stops right out front to get to the White House or K Street Business District.
Looking to treat someone special? The Whipped Cream and Pleasant Dreams package is sure to set a romantic mood. With this package, your innkeeper will set up your room with candles, sprinkled rose petals, and provide you with homemade whipped cream, fresh strawberries, and a split of champagne or cider.
Reservations and Arrivals
Rates are seasonal with peaks in the spring and fall. We have a two-night minimum at all times.
Check-in is after 2 p.m. and check-out is at 11 a.m. promptly. In many cases, you may be able to arrange an earlier time for luggage drop off.
- Premier Dupont Circle location near the Metro, restaurants, and shops
- 1890s historic townhouse mansion
- Scrumptious, expansive breakfast
- Evening happy hour
- Spacious and literary-themed guest rooms, all with private baths (2 with Jacuzzi tubs for two, 2 with couples showers)
- Air conditioning, a flat-screen TV, clock radio/iPod player, and mini fridges in each room
- Luxurious robes for lounging
- Custom bath amenities and blow dryers
- Wireless Internet throughout and computer station
- Extensive library
- Scheduled author readings in the parlor
Policies & Other
- Sleeps 19
- 8 Beds
- Private Bathroom
- No Pets
- No Smoking
- Children Welcome
- Reserved off street parking, $20 per night