16th & R Street NW
Enjoy the Victorian charm that the Akwaaba B & B has to offer just east of Dupont Circle. The house was erected in the 1890's as a single family home and retains many of that period's architectural details, including lofty ceilings, hand carved woodwork, and beautiful fireplaces. Dupont Circle offers visitors more than 80 restaurant choices, plus boutiques, bookstores, movie theaters, nightclubs and the District's Improv Comedy Club. Metro access (Red line at Dupont Circle station) is just four blocks from the house; about an 8-minute walk. The “S” bus stops right in front of the house and will get you to the White House or K Street business district in about ten minutes. For a Capitol business trip, sightseeing tour or a romantic getaway, the Akwaaba Bed and Breakfast in D.C. will make your stay comfortable, convenient and memorable.
The Akwaaba Bed and Breakfast's are unique unto themselves. Here in Washington, the site offers a choice of seven guest rooms - all with private baths- each themed and decorated to honor a specific author or classic literary genre. Guests can choose from the Zora Neale Hurston, Langston Hughes, Toni Morrison or Walter Mosley rooms. Or maybe you’re in the mood for the Romance, Modern Classics or Inspiration Suite. Whichever your pleasure, luxury and literature await at Akwaaba D.C. The guest rooms are located on the second, third and fourth floors. Unfortunately, this home has walk-up access only, as elevators were still quite rare when the house was built and the owners have stayed true to the house's original design.
Looking for a treat for someone special? The Whipped Cream and Pleasant Dreams package is sure to set a romantic mood. With this package, your Innkeeper will set your room with candles, sprinkle rose petals, and provide you with homemade whipped cream, fresh strawberries and a split of Champagne or cider.
Check in time is after 2:00 p.m. and check out is 11:00 a.m. promptly. In many cases you may be able to arrange an earlier time for luggage drop off. Reserved off street parking is available for an additional $20 per night.
Rates are seasonal with spring and fall being peak seasons for our area. A two night minimum reservation is required at all times. All of our homes are pet free and smoke free.
- Premier Dupont Circle location
- 1890s historic townhouse mansion
- Located in fashionable Dupont Circle, near fine restaurants, shops and the Metro
- Decorated to celebrate a rich literary legacy
- Spacious guest rooms, all with private baths (two with Jacuzzi tubs for two, two with couple showers)
- Air conditioning, a flat-screen TV, clock radio/iPod player, and mini fridges in each room
- Luxurious robes for lounging
- Custom bath amenities and blow dryers
- Wireless internet throughout & computer station
- Extensive library
- Scheduled author readings in the parlor
- Scrumptious, expansive breakfast
- Evening happy hour
- Limited on-site parking available, $20 daily
Policies & Other
- Sleeps 15
- 7 Bedrooms
- Private Bathrooms
- No Pets
- No Smoking
- Children Welcome
- Reserved off street parking, $20 per night